Remember the Titans
Suburban Virginia schools have been segregated for generations, in sight of the Washington Monument over the river in the nation’s capital. One Black and one White high school are closed and the students sent to T.C. Williams High School under federal mandate to integrate. The year is seen through the eyes of the football team where the man hired to coach the Black school is made head coach over the highly successful white coach. Based on the actual events of 1971, the team becomes the unifying symbol for the community as the boys and the adults learn to depend on and trust each other. Written by John Vogel <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sport Psychology Topic:
- Hersey & Blanchard’s (1988) Situational Leadership Model. One purpose of this module is to analyze the leadership style and effectiveness of the coaches in Remember the Titans using Hershey and Blanchard’s Model of Situational Leadership. The other purpose of this film analysis is to analyze tram cohesion and related factors using Carron’s model of cohesion.
Overview: Analyze the film “Remember the Titans” using Hersey & Blanchard’s Situational Leadership Model (SLM) and Carron’s Model of Cohesion . The basic premise of the SLM model is that a leader should change their leadership style based on the “readiness” or developmental level of the followers. Readiness is a combination of ability and willingness (and/or confidence). The factors described in Carron’s model help explain the dynamic process of cohesion and how it develops.
1. Clearly delineate the start and finish of each of the four stages of Tuckman’s model as the football team moves towards the season championship. Clearly describe (in words and with a reference to the time – e.g., 20:03 – in the film) the start and finish of each phase.
2. It is suggested that you organize your paper using the four stages of group development as a structure (Part 1 – Forming, Part 2 – Storming, etc.).
3. At each stage of team development, you need to
a) diagnose (determine) the developmental level (D1,D2,D3,D4) of the team (providing concrete evidence from the film),
b) determine the leadership style (S1, S2, S3, S4) demonstrated by the two main coaches in the film (again with specific reference to clips – clearly explaining why and how your choice of style is correct). Where the coaches demonstrate different styles, give comment on why these differences might exist.
c) determine the level of 1) overall cohesion b) social cohesion c) task cohesion d) group satisfaction e) relative and absolute level of performance – using scenes from the film to support your argument.
3. Referring to Carron’s model, make sure to refer to and include examples (at least one from each group) of the these key cohesion factors in your paper: environmental, personal, leadership, team, group outcome, individual outcome.
4. The building blocks of your paper will be the paragraph. Each paragraph should have one major point (e.g., Rizzo was a good captain); evidence should be presented to support your point (e.g., we see this in the bar scene when he…). Finally, the link between the point and evidence should be explained (e.g., according to the text (use APA citation style) there are three components of being a good captain – Rizzo demonstrates two of the three in this scene, and the third later during the “Again” scene.). This is how paragraphs should be structured in academic writing in sport psychology: 1-2-3.
5. This paper is one of three papers you will be evaluated on (“Ping Pong” plus your choice of two others including this one) – it is worth 20% or 1/5 of your grade, and is due at 11:59 a.m. on Tuesday, October 18th, 2011.
6. 5-7 pages, APA style, including outline in Appendix.
- Chapter 8 Cohesion: pp. 179-185 (omit sociogram PP. 185-186) and pp. 186-201.
- Chapter 9 Leadership: pp. 203-209
- SLM lecture slides: SLM Lecture Slides
- Heshey & Blanchard (1988): Hersey & Blanchard (1988)
- SLM Case Study Scenarios: situational-leadership-scenarios
- SLM Case Study Scenario Answers: situational-leadership-scenarios-answers
- Titans SLM viewing Guide: Titans Viewing Guide
- Cohesion lecture slides: Cohesion Text Slides 2011
- GEQ: GEQ Questionnaire (complete for your current or a past “team”)
- Video summaries of SLM: